On Monday March 14, I’ll be one of the presenters at a SXSW workshop called “Big Data and APIs for PHP Developers”, along with:
- Bradley Holt, author of Querying MapReduce Views in CouchDB
- David Zuelke, famous MapReduce addict
- Dennis Yang from InfoChimps
- Eli White, PHP Veteran and author of PHP 5 in Practice
- Julie Steele, Pythonista and O’Reilly editor of Beautiful Visualization
We’ll be talking about what Big Data is, how to work with it, Big Data APIs (how to design and implement your own, and how to consume them), data visualization, and the wonders of MapReduce. I’ll talk through a case study around Socorro: the nature of the data we have, how we manage it, and some of the challenges we have faced so far.
Workshops are new at SXSW. They are longer than the traditional panel - 2.5 hours - so we can actually get into some techinical content. We plan on making our presentation a conversation about data, with plenty of war stories.
Hope to see you there!